Cholesterol is a kind of fat which is also known as lipid in blood. Our body needs cholesterol which is made with a waxy substance with so many foods
Eating too much fast food like trans fat, saturated fat and cholesterol contain food can increase cholesterol level. Saturated fat or cholesterol comes from animals such as meats, whole milk, egg yolks, butter
There are two major types of cholesterol.
- Total cholesterol: total cholesterol is the estimation of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol(LPL-C),
high densitylipoprotein cholesterol(HDL-C) and other fats in the blood. Total cholesterol needto be less than 200 mg/dl.
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol(LPL-C): LDL-C or bad cholesterol transports cholesterol from one to another cell to the body. It carries cholesterol into the walls of arteries, makes them hard and narrow. The level should be less than 100 mg/dl.
Patientwho already had heartattack or stroke the level for them should be less than 70 mg/dl.
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol(HDL-C): HDL-C or good cholesterol takes excess cholesterol and return it to the liver where it is clear from the body. HDL-C level should be 40 mg/dl or higher to get rid of excess cholesterol from the body.
- Triglycerides: it is
an anotherblood fat estimate in the lipid panel. They are stored in blood cells use as a source of energy. The level should be less than 150 mg/dl.
Diagnosis & Treatments:
A good change of lifestyle can prevent high cholesterol.
- A low salt diet can help to keep
- Lots of fruits, vegetables
andwhole grains is really helpful
- Limitations of animal fats and eat good fats for moderation
Looseextra weight and connected with daily physical activities Quitesmoking
- Drink alcohol for moderation
- Regular check up to know the cholesterol level in the blood through
blockthe enzyme in the liver that helps to make cholesterol which leads to a reduction of cholesterol level in blood.
- In some cases, low dose aspirin may prescribe which helps to prevent blood clots forming, particularly for those who already
hasheart attack record.
- Ezetimibe is
medicationthat blocks the absorption of cholesterol from daily foods and bile juices through intestine in the blood. If the cholesterol level is not in low position then patientcan take ezetimibe at the same time satin is taking.